About Us and the City of Corbin

History of Wood Realty Services & the City of Corbin

Wood Realty Services was established in 1980 by Dennis A. Wood, Principal Broker, for over 26 years, Wood Realty Services has grown and developed into Corbin's Leading Real Estate Company of Corbin. Wood Realty Services is also a registered member of the Greater Corbin Chamber of Commerce. Wood Realty Services values you and your business. If you ever have any questions about any of our properties or have any appraisal needs, let Wood Realty Services help you with your needs. We have the technology and the staff to help you get into the home of your dreams. Thanks again Corbin for being so loyal to Wood Realty Services!!!

Corbin, KY History

Corbin is located along I-75 in the Southeastern Part of Kentucky.

Corbin was called Lynn Camp Territory before its three co-founders established it in the late 1800's.  Cofounders Nelson Cummins (owner of the land), James Eaton (named Corbin) and David T. Chestnut (built houses) established the town in 1884;  Corbin was incorporated in 1902.                     

Eaton named the town Cummins for the owner of the land, but later renamed it the following year in honor of his friend Reverend James Corbin Floyd.                   

 Industrialized Corbin in 1897, aside from the railroad shops   and yards, consisted of two sawmills, a shingle mill, two planing mills, a lumber company, a cabinet shop, a brickyard, a tin shop and about 25 stores.  The town also had a bank, four doctors, three lawyers and 150 railroad men.

By 1900, the population had grown to 1,500 and presently, the population is nearly 9,000 in the city of Corbin.  Most of the Corbin area lies in Whitley County, leaving the remaining area in Knox and Laurel counties.  It is also in the center of the eastern half of the United States.  City limits include about 80 percent falling in Whitley County with remaining 20 percent in Knox County.

The population of the Corbin area is estimated at nearly 40,000.

Corbin is the home of Cumberland Falls located at Cumberland Falls State Resort Park - part of the Daniel Boone National Forest.

The Falls itself is 125 feet wide and 60 feet tall.  It is known as the little Niagara.  The mist of Cumberland Falls creates the only Moonbow in the Western Hemisphere and can be viewed at certain times each month during clear weather.

Corbin is also the birthplace of the Original Colonel Sanders Cafe and Museum (Kentucky Fried Chicken).  The restaurant has been restored as a replica of the original and is now a museum and dining room serving traditional Kentucky Fried Chicken foods.  It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

     Corbin also boasts Laurel River Lake - a 6,000 acre clear lake located within ten minutes of the city.  The lake is open for fishing, boating, swimming, picnicking, as well as other lake activities.  Laurel River Lake is a protected lake, prohibiting the development of any housing or businesses on the lake property.

Click here to go back to the Wood Realty Services Home Page